Greek Chicken Kofta Burgers
- Yields: 6 Servings
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Prep time: 20 minutes
IngredientsFor the onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ small yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds ground chicken (mix of light and dark meat, if possible)
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 6 buns, lightly toasted if desired (can substitute pita bread)
- Butter lettuce and tzatziki
Make the onions first. Place the sliced red onions into a bowl or jar. In a measuring cup, combine 1 cup of hot or water with the cider vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve. Pour over the onions, making sure they are totally covered, and let them sit for an hour. You can use right away or store in the fridge for up to three weeks (you likely won’t need them all for this recipe, but extras are delicious on other things).
Build a charcoal fire for both direct and indirect cooking using Kingsford® Charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Close the grill lid and preheat to 450°F. Brush grill grate with oil.
In a mixing bowl, use your hands to blend all of the burger ingredients together. Carefully form into six patties, wetting hands or using wax paper if necessary to prevent sticking. The patties will be soft, so gently place on the grill and cook, turning only once, until the chicken has cooked through, about 12–15 minutes total.
To assemble, place the patties on the bottom halves of the buns. Top with lettuce, pickled onions and tzatziki sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!