Skip to content
German Goetta Burgers
Write a Review
- ½ pound ground lean pork
- ½ pound ground beef
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for bread
- 8 slices rye or pumpernickel marble bread
- 4 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- In a large bowl, combine pork, beef, onion, oats, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and dried herbs and spices. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and use your hands to gently combine and incorporate all ingredients.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties.
- Meanwhile, prepare a grill using Kingsford® Original Charcoal, build a fire for direct grilling and preheat to 400°F.
- Place the burgers on the grill and cook them until browned and cooked through, flipping once halfway through, 8 to 10 minutes total. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures. Remove patties from grill, allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Brush the bread slices with butter and toast them on the grill, a minute or two each side. Add a slice of cheese for the last minute and let it melt slightly.
- Spread Dijon onto half the toasted bread.
- Place the burgers on the mustard, top with sauerkraut and the other slice of toasted bread. Serve immediately.
- Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com.