Skip to content
Filet Steak Sandwiches
Write a Review
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1½ teaspoons balsamic glaze
- 4 5–6 ounce filet mignon steaks, about 1½ inches thick
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 sweet onions, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1–2 long and wide baguettes (or Italian bread), cut into 4 6-inch sections
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing the bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Build a two-zone fire using Kingsford® Original Charcoal for indirect grilling by situating heated coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side empty. Preheat to 450°F. Lightly grease the grates to prevent sticking.
- To make the au jus sauce, warm the beef stock, garlic and balsamic glaze in a small pot on the stove. Set aside.
- Season the steaks generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Place directly over the coals and cook for about 8 minutes total, flipping once halfway through, until charred on both sides.
- Move the steaks to the unheated side of the grill to finish with indirect cooking. Grill until the steaks reach desired doneness, about 125°F for medium rare. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into thin slices, and toss with the au jus.
- While the steak is cooking, brush the onion slices with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill them, turning a few times until they’re softened and charred.
- Prepare the rolls by brushing cut sides with oil and grill (cut sides down) until the bread is lightly toasted.
- To build the sandwiches, divide the meat between the toasted rolls, spooning a little extra jus over the meat and bread. Top with grilled onions and a slice of provolone cheese.
- Move the sandwiches back to the grill and cover just until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
- Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com.