El Diablo Burgers with Charred Chile Pepper RelishWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 4 Servings
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1½ pounds ground beef (preferably an 80/20 blend)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun blackened seasoning
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns (lightly toasted)
- Fire up a full chimney of Original Kingsford® Charcoal, or light a pile of about 100 briquets. Configure the coals for a two-zone fire, placing the briquets on one half of the charcoal grate to create a hot zone for grilling and a cool zone for moving the burgers during flare-ups. Adjust the bottom grill vents for medium-high heat cooking, approximately 400–425°F.
- Place peppers on the grill and allow them to char on all sides. Remove the peppers from the grill. Remove stems and seeds from the peppers and finely chop. Place chopped peppers in a small bowl and add red wine vinegar and sugar. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate the charred pepper relish until ready to use.
- Form ground beef into 4 burger patties and season on both sides with Cajun blackened seasoning. Grill burgers until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F. Add slices of pepper jack cheese to the top of the burgers during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Place 1 burger patty on each bottom bun and add a generous layer of charred pepper relish. Add the top bun and serve immediately.
- Credit: Clint Cantwell
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.