Skip to content
Classic Kansas City Style Ribs
Write a Review
- 2 racks Smithfield® St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs (membrane removed if desired)
- vegetable oil
- ¼ cup BBQ seasoning blend
- 1 handful hickory or applewood chips for smoking, soaked in water and drained (optional)
- KC Masterpiece® Original Barbecue Sauce
- About one hour before cooking, coat both sides of ribs with a little vegetable oil and sprinkle with your favorite BBQ seasoning blend. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour, but no more than 2 hours.
- Heat grill for indirect cooking at 230°F to 250°F. using Kingsford Charcoal. Add drained wood chips, if using. Place the ribs, meaty side down, over a drip pan and cook for 2 hours.
- Add about 12 Kingsford® coals to a charcoal grill every 45 minutes or so to maintain the heat. Remove ribs from grill. Double-wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return wrapped ribs to the grill and cook for 1½ to 3 hours more over indirect heat, until internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Add more coals as needed to maintain temperature for a charcoal grill.
- Remove ribs from grill and unwrap. Place ribs over direct heat on grill and brush with BBQ sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is set. Turn ribs and repeat with more sauce.