- 6 tuna steaks
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 8 minutes
- Servings: 6
Grilled tuna steaks are best served pink in the middle, so it’s crucial that you find fresh, high quality fish. Ahi tuna or yellowfin tuna are great tuna steak options. Find a responsible fishmonger you can trust to supply you with ethically-sourced, top-quality tuna — and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Remove the tuna steaks from the refrigerator and allow them to rest as you prep the grill. They should be out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before cooking.1
De-frigerate your tuna steaks.De-frigerate your tuna steaks.
- Build a Kingsford® Charcoal fire on the grill, and open all dampers for maximum heat. Apply a light coat of oil to the hot grill grates, and heat the grill to approximately 500–600°F.2
Fire up the grill.Fire up the grill.
- Remove the tuna steaks from the plastic wrap and lightly coat with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and place them onto the grill, directly over the heat.3
Season and sear the tuna steaks.Season and sear the tuna steaks.
- Grill for 3 minutes on each side or less depending on your preference. Tuna should be firm with pink in the middle. If you prefer your grilled tuna steak rare to medium-rare, reduce grilling time to 1½ to 2 minutes per side.4
Cook until they're just right.Cook until they're just right.
- You can serve grilled tuna steaks whole or slice them into ¼ inch strips.5
Plate and enjoy.Plate and enjoy.