Sweet Auburn Chili WingsWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 4 Servings
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 dozen jumbo wings
- 8 ounces kosher salt
- 2 bunches green onion or fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1 lime
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ cup water
- juice from 1 whole lime
- juice from 1 whole orange
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Stir all brine ingredients together until salt and sugar are dissolved. Brine wings in a neutral flavored brine (salt, sugar and garlic) overnight.
- Heat Masterbuilt Gravity Series to 225°F. Add wings to the middle rack. Spread wings out so they are not touching so smoke can penetrate evenly throughout the wings.
- Make Sweet Auburn Chili Sauce 5 minutes before serving wings.
- Make slurry by mixing ¼ cup water and the cornstarch, mix well so it’s consistent.
- Sauté garlic with vegetable oil over low to medium heat in a saucepan for about 1 to 2 minutes (be careful not to overly brown).
- Increase heat and stir constantly to avoid burning. Once sauce comes to a slight boil stir in a ½ teaspoon of the slurry at a time to thicken to your preferred thickness and stickiness. (I prefer a corn syrup consistency.)
- Hold sauce over low heat.
- Once wings reach an internal temp of 165°F, about 1.5–2 hours, bring the smoker to 600°F and sear wings on the Masterbuilt grate to crispen skin.
- Toss wings in Sweet Auburn BBQ Chilli Sauce.
- Top with diced green onions or fresh cilantro and serve with a wedge of lime. Squeeze lime over wings upon serving.
- Credit: Recipe created by Howard and Anita Hsu of Sweet Auburn BBQ on behalf of Kingsford and Masterbuilt
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.