Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken
- Yields: 12 Servings
- Cook time: 8–10 minutes
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- 12 wooden skewers, soaked for at least 20 minutes in water
- ½ yellow onion
- ½ large red pepper, seeded
- ½ fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded (use a full pepper if you like more spice)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-1½ -inch chunks (about 60 pieces total)
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil or cilantro, for garnish
Place the onion, red and jalapeno peppers, smoked paprika, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, olive oil and coconut milk in a high-speed blender. Puree until mostly smooth.
Season chicken with salt and pepper and toss with the marinade in a Glad® zipper bag. Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
When ready to grill, build a charcoal fire on an outdoor grill for both direct and indirect cooking using Kingsford® Charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Preheat to 450°F, and brush grate with oil.
Thread chicken onto skewers, shaking marinade off back into the bag or bowl. Use about 5 pieces for each one. Place on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 8–10 minutes. Remove chicken and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with rice and garnish with fresh basil or cilantro. Enjoy!