Loaf Pan ChickenWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 4 Servings
- Cook time: 2 h
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 3½ lbs whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons paprika
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- ¾ teaspoon celery salt
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Build a fire (combination of charcoal and wood) for indirect cooking with Kingsford® Charcoal with Applewood by situating the coals on only one side of the cooker, leaving the other side void.
- In a small bowl, stir together the applesauce and Worcestershire sauce. Holding the chicken over a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan, pour the mixture over the chicken, making sure the chicken is thoroughly coated both inside and out. Let the excess liquid drip into the loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine the dry rub ingredients and mix well. Coat the entire chicken, both inside and out, with the dry rub. Place the chicken into the loaf pan, breast side up.
- When the grill temperature reaches approximately 300°F, place the loaf pan on the grill grate away from the coals, close the cover, and cook for 2 hours, or until the internal temperature of chicken thigh reaches 175°F. Let the chicken cool a bit in the pan before cutting into serving pieces.
- Credit: Recipe created by world champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly, on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.