Skip to content
Grilled Vegetable Flatbreads with Ricotta and Salsa Verde
Write a Review
- ½ cup parsley leaves and thin stems, lightly packed
- ¼ cup fresh basil, lightly packed
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon, lightly packed
- ¼ cup fresh chives, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1½ tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1 to 2 pinches red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- ¾ cup olive oil, plus more for brushing flatbread
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 zucchini, sliced diagonally 1/3-inch thick
- ½ pound asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 1 pound ball fresh or frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 (8 oz.) cup ricotta cheese
- To make the salsa verde in a food processor or blender, combine all herbs, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, garlic, capers, anchovy (if using) and red pepper flakes. Process until leaves are finely minced. With machine running, slowly add 1/2 cup olive oil until sauce is a creamy yellow-green color. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Build a two-zone fire, placing preheated Kingsford® Original Charcoal, briquets on one half of the bottom grill grate and leaving the other side void.
- Toss zucchini, asparagus and red onions (can substitute 1½–2 pounds seasonal vegetables of choice) with 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Grill over direct heat, turning often, until tender and charred in spots, about 5 minutes; transfer to the void side of the grill.
- Lightly oil grill grate and divide pizza dough in half. Gently roll and stretch each piece into a rectangle or oval about 14x8 inches and transfer to two lightly oiled baking sheets. (If it springs back, cover and let rest 10 minutes, then stretch again).
- Transfer dough to grill over direct heat. Cook until first side is lightly charred and dough is dry and stiff; one to two minutes. Turn and cook just until reverse side has a few light grill marks; 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to baking sheets and let cool slightly.
- Top charred side of dough with the grilled vegetables, dividing evenly. Dollop ricotta over the vegetables on both flatbreads and drizzle with the salsa verde.
- Cut each flatbread into three to four pieces and serve immediately.
- Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com.