Cheesy BBQ Sausage BitesWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 4 Servings
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 3 (.83 oz each) mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 cup Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce for basting; additional sauce for serving
- Using Kingsford® Charcoal Briquets with Hickory or Mesquite, prepare grill for two-zone cooking, placing pre-heated charcoal briquets on one half of the grill’s charcoal grate to create a hot and a cool zone.
- Replace the main charcoal grate and adjust the grill’s bottom vents to bring the temperature to 350°F.
- While the grill preheats, divide breakfast sausage into 12 even portions then flatten into disks.
- Cut each string cheese stick into four even portions and place each cheese section onto a ground beef disk.
- Gently form the ground sausage around the cheese so that the cheese is entirely encased.
- Wrap each cheese stuffed meatball in a slice of bacon and use a toothpick to secure the end of the bacon.
- Place the bacon wrapped meatballs onto the cool side of the grill, cover the grill, and allow them to smoke for approximately 20 minutes until cooked through and the bacon is nicely browned and crisp.
- Brush meatballs with Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce*, cover the grill, and allow the sauce to set for 2 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from the grill and serve immediately with additional BBQ sauce.
- *Tip: Always add sauce at the end of the cooking process as too much exposure to direct heat can cause it to burn. Basting with a few minutes left in the grilling process ensures that the sauce has time to caramelize without overcooking.
- Credit: Clint Cantwell
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.