Smoked Hickory Meatball Skewers with Mozzarella
- Yields: 5 Servings
- Cook time: 12 minutes
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- 3 tbsp diced onions
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- ⅓ cup basil freshly chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 20 3 inch long wooden skewers
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce
Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking using Kingsford® charcoal by arranging the coals on just one side of the grill and leaving the other side void. Preheat the grill to 400°F.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, basil, egg, onion, salt and mix well.
Form about 20 meatballs using 2 tablespoons of the beef mix per meatball.
Season the meatballs generously with Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce.
Place the meatballs over indirect heat and close the grill lid. Cook the meatballs for 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160˚F.
While the meatballs cook, form a ball of mozzarella (1 teaspoon each) around each wooden skewer 1-inch from the end.
Stick each mozzarella skewer into the top of each meatball.
Close the grill lid and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Remove from the grill and serve.
- Credit: Recipe created by world champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal.